COVID-19 Health Warning
Exposure to COVID-19 is an inherent risk in any public location where people are present. Please help stop the spread of COVID-19 by following these rules:
- Please follow and obey all other fishing program rules posted
- Practice social distancing of at least 6 feet from other people (except those who reside in the same household)
- Face coverings are required (Per CDPH Guidance on California Department of Public Health Face Covering Guidance)
- Patrons are encouraged to bring their own hand sanitizer with at least 60% ethanol or 70% isopropyl alcohol and use it frequently
- Please pack out what you pack in
- Port-a-Potties are open
The fishing program is open Saturday through Monday
October through February
7 am to 4 pm
March through September
7 am to 5 pm
- $5 per adult
- $2 per child under 16 (must be with an adult)
- $3 per car for non-fishing visitors
Cash only, no change or checks. The pay station is located next to the parking lot kiosk. Anglers must comply with California Fish and Game regulations for licensing and catch limits, as well as rules posted at the site. Facilities include parking, portable rest rooms and trash facilities. Access to the reservoir is via San Miguel Road in Bonita, near Sweetwater Summit Park, which is owned and operated by the County of San Diego. Adult supervision is required for children under 16.
A California State Fishing License is required to fish at Sweetwater Reservoir.
- Bass: 5 (12-inch minimum length)
- Catfish: 5
- Bluegill: 25
- Red Eared Sunfish: 25
- Crappie: 25
- Bluegill, Sunfish and Crappie combined bag limit: 25
Quagga Mussel Prevention
No live freshwater bait, including shiners, crawdads, etc.
To prevent the further spread of Quagga Mussels, Sweetwater Authority has banned the use of live bait from freshwater sources at Loveland and Sweetwater Reservoirs. The ban does not apply to mealworms, redworms, crickets, etc.