Water Supply

Water delivered to Sweetwater Authority consumers is obtained from a variety of sources. Generally, our customers can expect to receive 70% of their water from local water supplies, including the Sweetwater River and the San Diego Groundwater Formation. The remainder, about 30%, is obtained from imported water sources.

Local Reservoirs

Sweetwater Authority owns and operates Loveland Reservoir, Sweetwater Reservoir, deep freshwater wells and brackish water wells. The water is treated at the Robert A. Perdue Water Treatment Plant in Spring Valley and the Richard A. Reynolds Groundwater Desalination Facility in Chula Vista.

Protecting Water Sources

Sweetwater Authority is deeply involved in programs to protect its water sources, and continually investigates ways to increase its local supplies of water. Programs include tracking development, watershed outreach and education, urban runoff diversion and treatment, and studies of aquifer storage. Learn more through the links on the left. Contact Communications at 619-409-6721 for additional information.

Intake tower at Sweetwater Reservoir

 Intake Tower at Sweetwater Reservoir