Water Waste Prohibitions
Water Should Be Used Reasonably and Productively At All Times
Water Waste Prohibitions and Sweetwater Authority Level 1 Drought Watch Measures are in effect for all customers.
The following prohibitions and suggested uses are also found in Sweetwater Authority's Drought Response Plan.
|Water Waste Prohibitions||• Customers are prohibited from watering lawns in a manner that causes runoff
• Customers are prohibited from watering lawns within 48 hours of rain
• Customers are prohibited from using potable water to irrigate turf on public street medians
• Customers are prohibited from hosing off sidewalks, driveways, or other hardscapes except as necessary for immediate safety or sanitary hazards
• Customers are prohibited from running fountains or other decorative water features unless connected to a recirculating system
• Customers are prohibited from washing automobiles with hoses not equipped with an automatic shut-off nozzle
• Restaurants and other food service establishments are to serve and re-fill water only upon customer request
• Operators of hotels and motels are to provide guests the option not to have towels and linens laundered daily
|Irrigation||• Customers are encouraged to limit landscape irrigation with sprinklers to no more than 3 days per week between the hours of 6:00 pm and 9:00 am. A 30 day grace period is extended to customers establishing new lawns
• Customers can choose which days to run irrigation systems
• Customers are encouraged to use drip irrigation or irrigate by hand whenever possible
• Customers are encouraged to minimize runoff to adjacent properties, non-irrigated areas, etc.
• Customers are encouraged to limit irrigation during and within 48 hours of rainfall
|Washing||• Customers are encouraged to use a broom to sweep parking areas, tennis courts, patios, etc., unless there is an immediate safety or sanitary hazard that requires washing.
• Customers are encouraged to use an automatic shut-off nozzle on a hose for spraying landscape watering, trailer/ vessel washing, or structure washing
|Leaks||• Repair major water leaks immediately and minor leaks within 24 hours of discovery|
|Fountains and Pools||• Customers are encouraged to use a re-circulating system for recreational water features (like the splash pad at the County Waterfront Park on Pacific Highway)|